School of Journalism and Strategic Media – Assistant Professor of Advertising
Job Title: Assistant Professor of Advertising
Department/School: School of Journalism and Strategic Media
Location: Fayetteville, AR
Start date: August 15, 2022
Position Summary: The School of Journalism and Strategic Media in the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences at the University of Arkansas, invites nominations and applications for the tenure-track Assistant Professor of Advertising position. The successful candidate must maintain a program of national refereed scholarship, be or demonstrate the potential to be an effective teacher who engages students in the classroom, have professional experience in advertising or a relevant field, and engage collegially in national, university and School service. The successful candidate has a 2/2 teaching load. This is a 9-month, tenure-track position at the assistant professor rank.
The School of Journalism and Strategic Media is dedicated to excellence in teaching, research and creative activity, and media discourse. The School is nationally accredited by the ACEJMC or the Accrediting Council on Education in Journalism and Mass Communication. Our faculty members are accomplished professionals in their fields who are actively engaged in scholarship. For more information visit https://fulbright.uark.edu/departments/journalism/
With submitted materials, the candidate must demonstrate:
- An earned doctorate from a nationally recognized and accredited institution in Advertising, Journalism, Mass Communications, or a discipline relevant to the position.
- Demonstration of and a commitment to maintaining a program of national refereed scholarship or evidence of future potential for maintaining a program of national refereed scholarship in advertising or a field relevant to the position. This includes publishing in refereed national journals, making national refereed presentations, and participating in appropriate national research activities in advertising or a relevant field.
- The ability to teach Advertising Principles and Campaigns incorporating traditional and digital platforms, and other advertising courses at the undergraduate and graduate level. Teaching should include both the theoretical understanding of advertising as well as practical experience and skills in advertising courses at the undergraduate and graduate level across multiple digital and traditional advertising platforms.
- Experience in–or the potential for–building an equitable and diverse scholarly environment in teaching, mentoring, research, life experiences, or service.
- At least one year of professional, research or digital experience in advertising or a relevant field.
- The ability to mentor undergraduate, honors, and graduate students, including serving on or directing thesis committees and senior papers as well as other related duties.
Preference will be given to candidates with these qualifications:
- Previous university teaching experience in advertising or a relevant field.
- Two or more years of professional, research or digital experience in advertising or a relevant field.
- The ability to be an active, involved, and collegial member of a collaborative faculty team, the School of Journalism and Strategic Media, the Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences, the University of Arkansas, and relevant national service organizations.
For a complete position announcement and information regarding how to apply, visit https://uasys.wd5.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/UASYS/job/Fayetteville/Assistant-Professor-of-Advertising_R0006106.
Completed applications received by November 1, 2021 will be assured full consideration. Late applications will be reviewed as necessary to fill the position.
For additional inquiries, please contact the search committee chair, Jan LeBlanc Wicks, at email@example.com.
- a letter of interest (demonstrating how your strengths match the duties and qualifications listed above),
- a complete curriculum vitae,
- a diversity statement, which may include evidence of previous activities to promote and maintain diversity, equity, and inclusion,
- an example of scholarship such as a published or presented article or a draft of an article,
- a statement of teaching philosophy, which may include evidence of teaching effectiveness (not to exceed three pages), and
- the names, titles, addresses, and contact information of three references.
Transcripts will be required from finalists.
Annual Salary/Benefits Package: Salary is commensurate with experience and qualifications.
As an employer, the University of Arkansas offers a vibrant work environment and a workplace culture that promotes a healthy work-life balance. The benefits package includes university contributions to health, dental, life and disability insurance, tuition waivers for employees and their families, 12 official holidays, immediate leave accrual, and a choice of retirement programs with university contributions ranging from 5 to 10% of employee salary.
The University of Arkansas: Founded in 1871 as a land grant institution, the University of Arkansas is classified by the Carnegie Foundation among the top two percent of universities in the nation with the highest level of research activity. Ten colleges and schools serve more than 27,100 students with more than 200 academic programs. University of Arkansas students earn nationally competitive awards at an impressive rate and represent 50 states and more than 120 countries.
Fulbright College: The Fulbright College of Arts and Sciences is the largest and most academically diverse unit on campus with 3 schools, 16 departments, and 43 academic programs and research centers. The University of Arkansas is committed to providing an educational and work environment in which thought, creativity, and growth are stimulated, and in which individuals are free to realize their full potential. The Fulbright promotes these ideals and welcomes applicants who foster an inclusive environment through an open exchange of voices and ideas from populations of diverse backgrounds.
The Community: Fayetteville is home to the University of Arkansas campus, and is known for its spectacular views and ample green spaces. Fayetteville is considered one of the country’s finest college towns, and the surrounding northwest Arkansas region is regularly ranked as one of the best places to live in the U.S. Some of the nation’s best outdoor amenities and most spectacular hiking trails are within a short drive of campus. For more information, visit:https://diversitynwa.com/