Job ID: 23040
Location: York College
Full/Part Time: Full-Time
FACULTY VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT
The English Department of York College, a senior college of the City University of New York (CUNY), seeks a tenure track assistant professor of English with specialization in Journalism. The successful candidate will:
- Teach 18 hours per year in the Journalism program, other English courses as needed. Commitment to excellent teaching in a diverse public university setting and enthusiasm for preparing students for journalism careers. Ideally candidates will have experience or interest in multiple modalities of instruction, including face-to-face, hybrid, and online. We also seek a candidate who can expand the curriculum and develop new specialized courses: e.g. science journalism, medical journalism, business journalism, data-driven journalism of all kinds.
- Engage in regular and consistent publication as a working journalist and/or publish academic scholarship relevant to the field. The expectation is that reappointment, tenure, and promotion will depend in part on a record of continuing steady publication as a working journalist and/or as a scholar publishing peer-reviewed academic research.
- Collaborative leadership in continuing to develop the program. Service to Journalism Program, English department, and York College.
- Advise and mentor Journalism students, including helping them to find internships and supporting their work in internships, advising the student newspaper or radio station, etc.
The Journalism program received approval from the state’s Office of Higher Education and the CUNY Board of Trustees to begin granting Bachelor of Arts degrees in Journalism in 2010. The program, which is an integral part of the English Department, began with approximately 45 majors and two full-time faculty members. As the number of majors grew to more than 100, one more full-time hire was added. One of these full-time faculty members also serves as Director of the Journalism Program, and others serve as faculty advisors to the campus newspaper and radio station. We are working to expand our NEWSLAB YORK initiative, which will be both a technology-forward physical location on campus where student journalists can practice the art and craft of 21st century journalism, and a conceptual rethinking of the ways that we present content in diverse modes on multiple digital platforms–and languages as we pursue a partnership with Telemundo.
Thus it is a small program, and there are significant opportunities for a new hire to make significant contributions in collaborative leadership as the program continues to develop and expand to respond to the rapidly changing media frontiers that define journalism today.
Candidates should have: at minimum a Masters degree in Journalism, Communications, or a related field, and significant experience as an actively publishing journalist. Familiarity with and facility in multiple converging media that form the context for journalism in the 21st century, as well as traditional media.
CUNY offers faculty a competitive compensation and benefits package covering health insurance, pension and retirement benefits, paid parental leave, and savings programs. We also provide mentoring and support for research, scholarship, and publication as part of our commitment to ongoing faculty professional development.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit letter of application, curriculum vitae, three samples of published journalism in any medium (PDFs and/or online links), 1-page description of you as a teacher. Please upload all materials as ONE DOCUMENT in doc, pdf, or rtf format.
- Please go to www.CUNY.edu, go to the Employment drop-down menu and click the ‘Search Job Postings’ tab.
- Filter by Job Location by clicking on York College. The title of this position is Assistant Professor – Department of English/Journalism Program (Job I-D 23040). Click on the title to view the entire job announcement.
- Click the ‘Apply Now’ tab and follow the prompts from there, including creating an account or logging into a previously created account.
January 30, 2022
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Faculty
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
CUNY encourages people with disabilities, minorities, veterans and women to apply. At CUNY, Italian Americans are also included among our protected groups. Applicants and employees will not be discriminated against on the basis of any legally protected category, including sexual orientation or gender identity. EEO/AA/Vet/Disability Employer.